The best example of the most beautiful sports car in the world can’t win the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance.
We are talking about the Ferrari 330 P4, chassis 0856, which is the only original survivor.
So naturally it won the M2 – Competition class at the 2016 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance for its owner Lawrence Stroll.
0856 was also present at Pebble Beach in 2004, but it still eludes a Best of Show, infact it wasn’t even a major contender this year.
We have no explanation for why this happened, but we know 0856 will win Pebble Beach, eventually.
So today we take a close look at 0856 and its stablemates in Class M2 – Ferrari Competition.
Images & Story by Richard Michael Owen, long-form captions by Pebble Beach Company.
First in Class 1966 Ferrari 330 P4 0856
This Ferrari 330 P4 (chassis 0856) is the only original example of the three P4s built for the 1967 race season. The aerodynamic, midengined racer was designed and built by Pierre Drogo and was further updated by Ferrari before every race it entered. The P4’s 450 bhp V12 engine was modeled on Ferrari’s Grand Prix–winning unit, with Lucas fuel injection in place of carburetors. In its first race at the 24 Hours of Daytona in February 1967, Ferrari stunned the racing world when this car crossed the line in 2nd place, alongside the other two P4s in 1st and 3rd for a photo finish to mirror the legendary moment when the three Ford GT40s won Le Mans in 1966. The car continued its success that year, winning the 1000 km race at Monza driven by Lorenzo Bandini and Chris Amon, and finishing 3rd at Le Mans driven by Willy Mairesse and Jean Blaton. Its last international race for Ferrari was at the Brands Hatch BOAC 500 Mile that July after it had been converted it to the open-roof configuration it has today.
Second in Class 1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione 2159GT
This alloy-bodied car (chassis 2159GT), the 44th Ferrari 250 GT SWB, was delivered to its first owner, Gerard Spinedi in Geneva, towards the end of 1960. It won its first race, the Rallye Lyon-Charbonnières, driven by Jo Schlesser, and between 1961 and 1964, the gold-painted car was raced all over Europe by Spinedi, often winning its class, and completing three Tour de France rallies. After retiring from racing, the car was kept in several private collections before being acquired by its current owner in 2012.
Third in Class 1958 Ferrari 250 GT ‘Tour de France’ 1-Louvre 1031GT
Chassis 1031GT was built for privateer racer Jacques Peron, and included a long-range fuel tank, Bendix fuel pump, Speed-Pilot, and ammeter for its first race, the 1958 Tour de France, where it finished 4th overall. After a small accident the car was repaired by the Ferrari factory and sold to M. Cotton of Paris, who raced it in the 1959 Tour de France before selling it in 1960. It was acquired by its current owner in 2014, who commissioned a full restoration.
1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Vignale Berlinetta 0178ED
The 1952 Mille Miglia had 27 Ferrari entries—a sixth of the total Ferrari production to that date—and a Ferrari 250 S Vignale Berlinetta came first overall, driven by Giovanni Bracco and Alfonso Rolfo. This Ferrari 225 Sport (chassis 0178ED) was finished in May 1952 for Count Antonio Sterzi, who with Giulio Rovelli drove it in that year’s Mille Miglia. Later that year, Sterzi was victorious at the Coppa InterEuropa at Monza and the Coppa della Toscana. After the car was exported in the late 1950s, the body was somehow separated from
the engine, but both survived and now, after many years, chassis 0178ED has been reunited with its original engine, and it has been fully restored by Ferrari Classiche.
1953 Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder 0326MM
Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder (chassis 0326 MM) is the 19th of the 250 MMs built and one of 12 Spyders built by Vignale. The car was sold to the Portuguese amateur driver, Fernando de Mascarenhas, the Marquis of Fronteira, who entered it in numerous races inPortugal and Brazil, where it enjoyed a successful career between March 1953 and the end of 1954. The car’s second owner, Antonio Borges Barreto, continued to race the car successfully during 1955. For the next 40 years the car was owned by collectors in Italy, Germany, and Switzerland and it took part in several Mille Miglia Storica retrospectives. Its current owner, Chip Connor, and his co-driver extraordinaire, Bruce Meyer, entered it in the 1997 Mille Miglia Storica.
1953 Ferrari 250 MM Pinin Farina Berlinetta 0340MM A Total of 31 Ferrari 250 MM chassis were produced, and 18 Berlinettas were built by Pinin Farina for the 1953 racing season. The first of these was shown at the 1953 Geneva Auto Show, and the first 250 MM made its racing debut at the 1953 Giro di Sicilia driven by Paolo Marzotto. This car (chassis 0340MM) made its racing debut at the 1954 Giro di Sicilia, finishing 7th overall, then went on to race in that year’s Mille Miglia, and continued racing in Italy through 1955. It was brought to the United States by Roger Ellis in 1964. Its current owner restored the car last year.
1956 Ferrari 290 MM 0626
Driving solo, Juan Manuel Fangio piloted this car(chassis 0626) to 4th place in the 1956 Mille Miglia, one of the wetteston record. Then Phil Hill, Ken Wharton, Olivier Gendebien, and the Marquis de Portago took 3rd overall in the Nürburgring 1000 km. When Wolfgang (Taffy) von Trips and Peter Collins finished 2nd with it at the 1956 Swedish GP at Kristianstad, the Championship was back with Ferrari. In the spring of 1957, the car was sold to American team owner Temple Buell, and it was raced until 1964 by Masten Gregory, Jo Bonnier, Paul O’Shea, and Manfredo Lippman. The car was never crashed and is one of the most valuable cars in the world.