Ferrari Competition class is always the most exciting class at Pebble Beach Concours. Colorful history of precious hand built racing Ferraris of the 50’s and 60’s, carefully picked by the high quality standard a car must have to be allowed on the lawn of Pebble Beach, makes the class-M2, the cream of the crop. This year, 6 cars were present in this class that we invite you enjoy them at the concours as well as the Tour. They appear in order of seniority:
M2-01) 1953 Ferrari 340 MM Competition Vignale Spyder, Chassis No. 0324 AM – Michael & Katharina Leventhal, Beverly Hills, California
This is one of only four 340 MM Competition Vignale Spyders built by Ferrari. The car was sold to American racing driver Bill Spear in April of 1953 for that year’s sports car championship. Painted in the American racing colors of blue and white, its first race was the 12 Hours at Reims in northern France. Spear enlisted Phil Hill as his co-driver for the race, and they collected the car from the factory in Maranello, but on the drive to Reims, Spear had an accident while following behind Hill in the Ferrari, cutting his leg severely, and the car was sadly forced to withdraw from the race. Later that July, Spear drove his new Ferrari to fourth place in a support race at the British Grand Prix at Silverstone in England before it was shipped to the United States in August 1953, where it was raced extensively until the end of 1955.
M2-02) 1954 Ferrari 375 Plus Pinin Farina Spyder, Chassis No. 0384 AM – Les Wexner, New Albany, Ohio – Third in Class
Starting with the race-proven 375 MM, Ferrari constructed a small number of large-capacity competition Spyders to compete in the 1954 Sports Car World Championship. The Lampredi-designed 41⁄2-liter Grand Prix V12 engine was bored out to nearly 5 liters, and a rear-mounted gearbox and de Dion rear suspension were fitted. The resulting car was known by the French racing community as “Le Monstre” and by the British as “The Fearsome Four-Nine.” Five of the eight cars built were kept for the Ferrari team, including this car (chassis 0384 AM), which is one of four remaining today. It was driven by some of the finest drivers of the 1950s, including Froilan Gonzalez, Umberto Maglioli, and Paolo Marzotto, and it ran in both the Mille Miglia and Le Mans in 1954. The car was later raced extensively in the United States by Jim Kimberly and Howard Hively. In February 1957, at the Cuba GP, the car was seriously damaged by fire and was consequently sold to Karl Kleve for $2,500 and was literally left on the grass in the woods near Cincinnati for almost 3 decades to rust. But then in was stolen in 80’s and sold to the late Jacques Swaters in Belgium where it was restored and after another 3 decades and a series of legal battles over its ownership, Bonham auctions sold it in 2014 to its current owner for a then record price of $18.2M. Now restored by MPI, this is the car’s first appearance at Pebble Beach.
M2-03) 1954 Ferrari 735 S Monza Scaglietti Spyder, Chassis No. 0428MD – Thomas Peck, Huntington Beach, California – Second in Class
In 1953, Ferrari introduced a range of 4-cylinder race cars aimed at privateer race drivers. The 2-liter Mondials and the 3-liter 735 S Monzas were hugely successful as well as good looking, having been designed and built by Scaglietti. This Monza was the first 4-cylinder, 3-liter 735 S to be finished and was crashed by Nino Farina in its second race at Monza. It was returned to Ferrari and re-bodied by Scaglietti for its next race, the Grand Prix of Portugal at Monsanto in July 1954, where it was driven by Froilan Gonzales. At the end of 1954 it was bought by Alfonso de Portago, who painted it black and took it to the Carrera Panamericana in November. The second owner, Sterling Edwards, raced the car at Sebring before bringing it to the Pebble Beach Road Races in April 1955, where he finished second behind Phil Hill. Edwards continued to race the car, notching up five wins before the car’s final race at Pebble Beach in 1956. Over the following 60 years the car fell into disrepair until it was acquired by its current owner in 2016, and a two- year restoration was undertaken by Bob Smith Coachworks. It is presented here in its 1954 Carrera Panamericana livery.
M2-04) 1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Scaglietti Spyder, Chassis No. 510M – Patrick & Carolyn Ottis, Berkeley, California – First in Class
This Ferrari 750 Monza was raced by three of America’s greatest racing drivers. In its first race, in March 1955, Phil Hill and Carroll Shelby drove the car at the Sebring 12 Hours race and were declared the winners before having to concede victory on a technicality to Briggs Cunningham’s D-type Jaguar. In April, Phil Hill won the Pebble Beach Road Races with the car and he continued to race it for the rest of the year. The car changed drivers in 1956 when Carroll Shelby took it over, winning the Pebble Beach races again as well as other events in California. Jim Hall raced the car for the 1957 season and was just as successful as his predecessors. Hall owned the car until 2016 when its current owner acquired it. This historic American-raced Ferrari has just finished a complete, two-year mechanical and cosmetic restoration and is shown today just as it looked when it won here at Pebble Beach, not once, but twice.
M2-05) 1958 Ferrari 250 GT Scaglietti Berlinetta, Chassis No. 0909 GT – David F. MacNeil, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The Ferrari 250 GT Berlinetta “TdF” earned its moniker after Alfonso de Portago’s victory in the 1956 Tour de France courtesy of his Ferrari 250 Berlinetta. The 250 GT TdF was such a success that Ferrari ultimately produced another 77 cars in four different series. This particular TdF is the seventh of the 36 cars from the final series. The distinguishing features of this series are the single louvers over the rear sail panels and the enclosed headlamps. The body was designed by Pinin Farina and built by Scaglietti, with body and interior panels in aluminum. This car’s racing record began with its first owner, amateur racer Walter Lambert of Switzerland. He campaigned the car in 22 hill climbs and achieved 18 podium finishes, 13 of them as winner. The car’s successes continued with its next owner, Tommy Spychiger, during the 1961 European hill climb season. The car remained in Europe and has been raced competitively by its subsequent owners in a host of historic events. Its current owner bought the car in 2017 and has just had it restored.
M2-06) 1967 Ferrari 412 P Coupe Chassis No. 0854 – MJJV Cars, Rye, New York
This Ferrari 412 P is the second and final 412 P built by Ferrari. It was campaigned during the entire 1967 sports car season by Ferrari’s U.K. agent, Colonel Ronnie Hoare of Maranello Concessionaires. Finished in the distinctive Maranello livery of red with a pale blue stripe, the car first appeared at the 1000 Kilometer race at Spa-Francorchamps, driven by Lucien Bianchi and Richard Attwood, where it finished third overall. Attwood and a young Piers Courage drove it at Le Mans in June before Attwood was joined by another privateer, David Piper, for the BOAC 500 Mile race at Brands Hatch, where it finished seventh. The championship points achieved by this car during 1967 enabled Ferrari to win the Manufacturer’s Championship. British driver and team owner David Piper took over the car at the end of the 1967 season and for the next three years raced it all over the world, including the Grand Prix of Sweden, the 9 Hour Race at Kyalami in South Africa, the Sports Car Grand Prix at Hockenheim, and at the Nürburgring. Today, the car has been fully restored to its original 1967 Brands Hatch livery. It is the only example of this glamorous Ferrari still with its original body, engine and gearbox intact.