FERRARI COMPETITION AT PEBBLE BEACH CONCOURS & TOUR D’ELEGANCE – CLASS M2
The most exciting Ferrari class at the Pebble Beach is M2 with all the super rare race Ferraris. This year with no less than three pontoon fender 250 Testarossa, including the one that was baptized as the first Testarossa in 1956 and two others with consecutive chassis numbers, was a great charm. We tried to present them to you here in both the concours Sunday and the Tour d’Elegance.
M2-1 1952 Ferrari 212 Inter Vignale Coupe’ – Lisa & Jimmy Dobbs, Palm Beach, Florida
This 1952 Ferrari 212 Inter, one of twenty-six 212 Inters bodied by Vignale, was ordered by a young Mexican driver, Efrain Ruiz Echeverria, to race in the 1952 Carrera Panamericana. Unfortunately, he crashed while in ninth place and being pursued by Phil Hill in a similar 212 Inter. After the race, Echeverria sent his damaged car, chassis 0239EU, back to Ferrari for repairs, then decided he wanted a new Ferrari 250 MM. To help him avoid paying duty on a second car, Ferrari agreed to stamp his new 250 MM as chassis 0239EU—and delivered the car in time for the 1953 Carrera Panamericana. The factory then re-numbered the repaired 212 Inter with Mille Miglia chassis number 0292MM, making it just a little confusing for future Ferrari historians! Ferrari resold the 212 in June 1953 to Jan De Vroom, an amateur racing driver and partner in Luigi Chinetti’s NART race team. After several changes of ownership, the Ferrari was bought by Dobbs Motorsports in 1995 and it has since been carefully restored to its 1952 Carrera Panamericana specification.
M2-2 1953 Ferrari 250 MM Pinin Farina Coupe’ – Brian Ross, Cortland, Ohio
The Ferrari 250 MM was built primarily to compete in long distance road races such as the Mille Miglia and the Carrera Panamericana as well as in endurance circuit races like the 24 Hours of Le Mans. This 250 MM is one of eighteen Coupes designed and built by Pinin Farina on Ferrari’s 94-inch wheelbase with the 2.9-liter, 240-bhp, Colombo-designed V12 engine. This Ferrari (Chassis 0258 MM) was raced in the 1953 Mille Miglia by Count Bruno Sterzi and Giulio Rovelli. After its racing days in Italy, the car was delivered to Luigi Chinetti in New York and then driven by George Arents in several North American sports car races. The current owner has had this Ferrari restored for its debut at Pebble Beach.
M2-3 1953 Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder – The Cultivated Collector, New Canaan, Connecticut
In October 1952 the first Ferrari 250 MM was displayed at the Paris Auto Salon. It was derived from the one-off Ferrari 250 S, which had won the Mille Miglia earlier that year. This 250 MM (0260MM) is one of two First Series Spyders built by Vignale, and the only one still with its original coachwork. It was delivered to its first owner, Phil Hill, in March 1953, and then was shown by Luigi Chinetti at the New York International Motor Sport Show in April. Later the same month, Hill entered the Ferrari in the Del Monte Trophy race at Pebble Beach, where he finished in first place. He continued to compete with the car, achieving additional victories during the 1953 season. In the hands of later owners, the car continued to be raced until the end of 1957. For the last 60 years, the car has been cared for by a series of collectors in the United States. The current owner has restored it to its original specification.
M2-4 1955 Ferrari 500 Mondial Scaglietti Spyder – Thomas R. Peck, Irvine, California
The Ferrari 500 Mondial used a new 4-cylinder engine developed by Ferrari’s chief engineer, Aurelio Lampredi. The 4-cylinder layout had better low-end torque than Ferrari’s V12, allowing for more acceleration out of corners, and its lighter weight provided better handling. At its first race, the 12 Hours of Casablanca in December 1953, factory drivers Alberto Ascari and Gigi Villoresi finished first in class and second overall, and the model went
on to play an integral role in winning Ferrari’s second Sports Car World Championship in 1954. This car (chassis 0580MD) is a second series Mondial built by Sergio Scaglietti. First shown in Stockholm, Sweden, in 1956, it was raced throughout Scandinavia, often on ice-circuits wearing spiked tires, until 1960. Once its ice-racing career was over, it was sold to Claudio Caggiati in Italy who entered the car in a record-breaking 17 Mille Miglia retrospectives. Its present owner bought the car at the end of 2014 and has now restored it to its Stockholm Auto Show condition.
M2-5 1956 Ferrari 410 Sport Scaglietti Spyder – Les Wexner, New Albany, Ohio
The Ferrari 410 Sport CM was developed from the Le Mans winning Ferrari 375 Plus primarily for the Carrera Panamericana (the CM stands for Carrera Messicana), but also with an eye toward the growing importance of the North American racing scene. The new Aurelio Lampredi–designed, 5.0-liter V12 engine was the most powerful yet to leave the Ferrari factory. This 410 Sport CM (Chassis 0592 CM) is one of three 410 Spyders built by Scaglietti. It was sold initially to American team owner, Tony Parravano, and it first raced at Palm Springs where, driven by Carroll Shelby, it finished in first place. In 1957, Parravano headed to Mexico with a number of his race cars, not to compete in the Carrera Panamericana but because he was being chased by the IRS for tax “complications.” After crossing the border he was never seen again—although his cars turned up three years later! In 1970, this car was acquired by Robert Dusek, who restored it to the way it was when last raced by Scuderia Parravano.
M2-6 1956 Ferrari 500 Testa Rossa Scaglietti Spyder – Les Wexner, New Albany, Ohio
For the 1956 season, Ferrari developed a new 2-liter engine to outpace its main rival, the Maserati 200 S. Designed by Ferrari’s new chief engineer, Vittorio Jano, the new 4-cylinder engine used Aurelio Lampredi’s Mondial 500 as a starting point. The new engine was given bright red cylinder heads, and the name Testa Rossa was born. Scaglietti created the body for the 500 TR, and the new car first raced in the 1956 Monza Supercortemaggiore where Peter Collins and Mike Hawthorn secured victory. This Testa Rossa (chassis 0600MD TR), is that first Testa Rossa, which was delivered to the Ecurie Francorchamps team. It raced throughout Europe in 1956 then was sold back to the factory. After three lesser races with Francois Picard, Ferrari sent the car to Luigi Chinetti to be raced at Nassau in 1958, but it was crashed by Pedro Rodriguez and returned to Scaglietti to be rebodied with pontoon-fenders. Rodriguez raced the rebodied car at Le Mans, then it was sold to Jim Hunt and Lucky Casner, who raced it successfully in the United States in 1959, its last competitive year.
M2-7 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Scaglietti Spyder – Chris & Anne Cox, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
The Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa, developed in early 1957, had a new 3.0-liter V12 engine designed by Gioacchino Colombo installed in a chassis based on the earlier Ferrari 500 TRC. The first prototype made its racing debut in the 1,000 Kilometres at the Nürburgring, and the Testa Rossas that followed helped to secure Ferrari’s important place in sports car history. In July 1958, this Ferrari 250 TR (chassis 0756 TR) was shipped from the Ferrari factory to John Von Neumann’s dealership in California for its first owner, Dick Morgensen of Phoenix, Arizona. From the end of 1958 through the 1960 season, Morgensen campaigned the car all over California and Arizona with considerable success. Later, during the 1970s and ’80s, the car enjoyed similar success in the hands of historic racer Lou Sellyei. The car was purchased by its current owner in 2008 and has just returned from Italy following a complete restoration preserving all of the original components.
M2-8 1958 Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa Scaglietti Spyder – Tom & Gwen Price, Belvedere, California
The 250 Testa Rossa was one of Ferrari’s most successful race cars on the track; it had three overall victories at Le Mans among many others wins, leading to three world constructor’s titles in 1956, ’57 and ’58. Other outright victories included the Sebring 12 Hours and the Targa Florio. The 250 TR also has one of the most famous shapes, with its unusual body designed and built by Sergio Scaglietti. This TR (chassis 0754 TR) was built for the ex-Porsche factory driver, Jaroslav Juhan. He drove it at Le Mans in 1958 but was involved in an accident on the 72nd lap and retired. The car was returned to the factory for repairs and then shipped to the United States to be sold to amateur driver George Keck, who raced it in 1959. The car passed to David Love in 1964, who raced it in SCCA races at Riverside and Laguna Seca before starting historic racing in 1969, clocking up more than 250 racing starts during a 48-year partnership. In 2014 Tom Price purchased the TR for the 250 Testa Rossa reunion before the car went to Ferrari for its recent restoration.
M2-9 1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Scaglietti Berlinetta – John & Gwen McCaw
Ferrari’s 250 GT SWB was developed from the long-wheelbase 250 GT Tour de France. Fitted with Ferrari’s hugely successful 3-liter V12-engine, the first 250 GT SWB was shown at the 1959 Paris Auto Salon. The SWB could be driven as a road car or, with only a change of tires, could also win its class in any long-distance race. This car (chassis 2417GT) was the first of Ferrari’s alloy-bodied Comp/61 SEFAC models and the only Comp/61 to be campaigned by the Ferrari factory. The car made its racing debut at the Spa 500-km race where it finished in first place, driven by the Willy Mairesse, and it went on to win many other races in Europe. Later, the car was owned by Maranello Concessionaires and driven by Mike Parkes, who went on to become a works Ferrari driver. Its current owner bought the car in 1998.
M2-10 1967 Ferrari 206 S Dino Drogo Spyder – Arnold Meier, Zollikon, Switzerland
The prototype Dino 206 S was built in 1965 to be a contender for the 1966 2-liter sports car class. The engine was based on the earlier 1.6-liter Ferrari 166 P, enlarged to 2-liters and fitted with 3 Weber carburetors, which were replaced on later cars by Lucas fuel injection. Initially, Ferrari planned to produce 50 cars for homologation purposes, but industrial unrest in Italy halted the car’s production and only 18 were ever completed. Piero Drogo designed the body, and the cars were all built by his company, Carrozzeria Sports Cars. This Dino 206 S (chassis 028) is one of the last built. Its first owner, Eduardo Lualdi-Gabardi, a Ferrari customer since 1953, raced the car in the European Hill Climb championship and at the 1000-km race at Monza. After 1971, the car changed hands several times before being acquired by its current owner in 2014.
All photos and videos are taken by Richard Michael Own and Sam Noroozi and are their and ferrarism.com property and subject to copyright laws.