Preservation is a hot topic in the Ferrari restoration debate, so it’s fitting that Pebble Beach brought out nine of the very best untouched Ferraris at the 2015 Concours d’Elegance.
Class M-4 was devoted to Ferrari Preservation and one of the most exciting cars was the world’s only unrestored 250 California. Chassis 2935GT surfaced earlier in the year at Artcurial’s Rétromobile sale and sold for €16,288,000. It came from long term owner by Jaques Ballion who had an impressive collection of pre-war cars.
The class was won outright by the impossibly original 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Lusso which is still owned by its original family. Having seen many unrestored Ferraris from the era, this is perhaps the best preserved and it is confirmed by the Pebble Beach judges. One look at the carpet or original fittings under the hood, reveals what has to be the most desirable example extant.
1964 Ferrari 250 GTL Scaglietti Berlinetta Lusso 5867GT
This example has been owned by the same family since new and is completely original. Currently part of the “Chestnut Collection”
1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C 09015
From the John Mozart Collection. This car, chassis 09015, was finished in June 1966 just four days before it appeared at its first race, the Le Mans 24 Hours, where it was driven by Giampiero Biscaldi and Prince Michel de Bourbon-Parma for Luigi Chinetti’s N.A.R.T. team. Chinetti sold the car to William Harrahfor the Road America 500 race at Elkhart Lake where it came 12th overall driven by Bob Grossman and Denise McCluggage. 09015’s brief racing career finished at the end of 1966 and it remains in amazingly original condition to this day.
1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Pininfarina SWB Coupe 2809SA
This Ferrari Superamerica, 2809SA, is a meticulously cared for original example which has only ever had minor repairs. It was the first SWB covered headlamp car built and was ordered through the Ferrari agent Mario Camellini for Count Giovanni Volpi di Misurata in 1961. The Count was the owner of the private Ferrari race team Scuderia Serenissima and he ordered the car with black paintwork, tan leather interior and rear wheel spats. After a short period with later Italian owners it was bought by Mario’s son Umberto Camellini in 1972. The car was enjoyed by the entire Camellini family until it was purchased by its current owner in February 2015.
1961 Ferrari 250 GT SWB California Spyder 2935GT
This unrestored Ferrari 250 GT Spyder California chassis, 2935GT, was shown by the Ferrari importer Franco-Britannic Autos at the Paris Motor Show in 1961. During the second week of the show the Ferrari was bought by the actor Gérard Blain and then just six days after the Motor Show closed, he sold it to fellow thespian and French heart-throb Alain Delon who quickly took it to his home in Monaco. After many adventures with the car including a trip to California, Delon sold the car in 1965 and it passed through several owners until it was acquired by the now famous collector Jacques Baillon in November 1971. Baillon drove the Ferrari very little and like the majority of his cars, it was stored away, protected from the elements and bad weather.
1953 Ferrari 212 Inter Coupé Pinin Farina
This 1953 Ferrari 212 Inter Pinin Farina Coupe was delivered to Prince Bernhard of The Netherlands and has an interesting story concerning its chassis number. The story begins in 1953 when the Prince traded in his old Ferrari 212 Inter Ghia Coupe, 0139E, for a new 212 Europa by Pinin Farina, 0269 EU and he used the old chassis number so that he could avoid paying the import tax. The Prince’s new Ferrari was imported to Belgium via Compagnie Automobiles Richard SA in Brussels and the Prince then drove it to Holland. This car was sold to Bob Stodwaldt of San Diego in 1959 and has been lovingly maintained ever since. It is shown in exactlythe same condition as it was when enjoyed by the Prince over 60 years ago.
1967 Ferrari 330 GTS 09343
Finished in the original Celeste Blue Metallic over Rosso Scuro, this 1967 Ferrari 330 GTS, chassis 09343, was the fifth GTS built. It was delivered to Luigi Chinetti Motors in Greenwich, Connecticut in April 1967. Dr. Samuel Scher of New York City bought the car from Chinetti but on September 16, 1969, the car suffered a small engine fire and the car was sold at an insurance auction in New Jersey. There it was purchased by a collector who parked it in his garage in Pennsylvania fully intending to repair the car but he never did and the car sat, accumulating dust and grime for the next 45 years. It has now been refreshed by its new owner in order to get it back on the road.
1964 Ferrari 250 LM 5893
This car, 5893, went one better and, in the hands of Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory driving for Luigi Chinetti’s N.A.R.T. racing team, it was the last Ferrari to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans, taking the crown in 1965. It raced for another 5 years in long distance races at Daytona and again at Le Mans until it was officially retired and later acquired by the Indianapolis Museum.