Today we take a closer look at the Competition Ferraris who attended the 2017 Pebble Beach M2 class. Amazing race horses from the golden era. From a time when Ferraris were aimed at glory and were made with passion and enthusiasm…
(M2-01) 1951 Ferrari 212 Export Touring Barchetta of Thomas Peck, Irvine, California
This car (chassis 0102E) is one of seven 2.3-liter Ferrari 212 Export Barchettas bodied by Touring. Its first owner, Pietro Palmieri, raced it in the Giro della Calabria and the Coppa Adriatica, finishing first in class and a second and fourth overall. It was later loaned to and raced to a class win by Bobby Baird in the 1951 RAC’s famed Tourist Trophy race at Dundrod, Ireland. In 1954 Phil Hill brokered the car’s sale to 20th Century Fox and it starred in the 1955 movie “The Racers” in heavily modified form. In order to gain some background footage, the car was first filmed being driven by John Fitch at the 1954 Mille Miglia and later at Monaco before being sent to California for its starring role. In 1955 the car was sold to Al Crundall of Carmel, who showed it at the 1966 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance. A modified body was later built for the car. In early 2015, the original body, chassis and engine were reunited and the car was restored to its original configuration by Ferrari Classiche. It was probably her first appearance in its original look, attended the Tour d’elegance and placed second in class.
(M2-02) 1952 Ferrari 225 Sport Vignale Berlinetta of Najeeb & Nancy Khan, Edwardsburg, MI
The first event for this significant Ferrari 225 Sport (chassis 0164ED) was the 1952 Giro di Sicilia, where it was driven by its first owner, Franco Bordoni, who later placed tenth at that year’s Mille Miglia, driving a Ferrari 166 MM. The car continued to be raced throughout 1952 and 1953. In the latter year it was campaigned successfully by Prix held for sports cars. In 1954 the car moved to the United States where it was displayed at the New York Auto Show. It was purchased by its current owner in 2012, and it has participated twice in the historic events at Monaco and the Mille Miglia.
(M2-03) 1953 Ferrari 166 MM Oblin Spyder of Mr. & Mrs. Frederic Leroux, France
This 1953 Ferrari 166 MM first carried a Vignale coupe body when delivered to its first owner, Jaques Herzet. After racing in the Coupe de Spa-Francorchamps, the Rallye des Alpes, the Liege-Rome-Liege, and the Tour de France, the car placed second in the 1953 European Championship. Herzet then took the car to South America for another series of races. After returning to Europe, the car was sent to Carrozzeria Oblin in Brussels to be re-bodied as the spyder it is today. With its new look, this 166 MM (chassis 0300M) soon raced again; at the 1954 Twelve Hours of Reims, Herzet shared the drive with Johnny Claes. The car’s racing days continued until 1957 when Herzet hung up his goggles for the last time. The car has recently changed hands and has been restored to the condition it was in at the end of the 1954 season, with matte-black paintwork and a glossy red racing stripe.
(M2-05) 1958 Ferrari 335 Sport Scaglietti Spyder of Andreas Mohringer, Salzburg, Austria
Three Ferrari 335 Sport Spyders with V12, 4-liter engines were built in 1957 and then Luigi Chinetti persuaded Enzo Ferrari to build one more. This Spyder (chassis 0764) was completed by Scaglietti at the end of 1958. It was first presented at the New York Auto Show and was soon nicknamed the “Super Testa Rossa”. Alan Connell purchased the car and raced it at Road America, Watkins Glen, Daytona and Nassau in 1959 and 1960. Thereafter it was owned, driven and enjoyed by several different collectors, and in 1990 it was notably lent to Phil Hill to drive in the Mille Miglia Storica. The current owner acquired this Spyder in 2013. Here at pebble beach where it also showed up in its original paint and livery for the first time in years, took the tour d’elegance and proudly won the best in class .
(M2-06) 1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Scaglietti Berlinetta TdF of Charles Wegner, Del Mar, CA
This Ferrari 250 GT LWB Scaglietti Berlinetta (chassis 1321 GT) was the highest placed Ferrari at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1959. It was entered by the Belgian national team Ecurie Francorchamps and was driven by Leon Dernier and Jean Blaton”and it won the 3 liter GT class and finished third overall. After a few years in Europe, the car was taken to the United States in 1968, and there it was purchased by Manfred Lampe. Its current owner acquired the car in 2011 and has shown it at several Ferrari events. It still wears the distinctive livery it wore at Le Mans.
(M2-07) 1960 Ferrari 246 S Dino Fantuzzi Spyder of Craig & Susan McCaw, Santa Barbara, CA
Three Ferrari 246 Dinos were constructed at the end of 1959 all with Fantuzzi-built bodies. This 246 Dino (chassis 0778) made its debut in early 1960 as a works entry in Buenos Aires, driven by Argentine veteran Jose Froilan Gonzalez and the Italian Ludovico Scarfiotti. Gonzalez is perhaps best known for scoring Ferrari’s first World Championship Grand Prix win at Silverstone in 1951, and he concluded his Grand Prix racing career at the Buenos Aires race in 1960. The car next appeared at the Targa Florio in May 1960, along with the other two Dino works cars, and there the car scored its greatest success in a major race. Despite various incidents, Phil Hill and Wolfgang von Trips were second overall; Scarfiotti, Willy Mairesse and Giulio Cabianca finished fourth driving this car; and a NART-entered car driven by Pedro Rodriguez and Ricardo Rodriguez was seventh.
(M2-08) 1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C Scaglietti Berlinetta Competizione of Rare Wheels Collection, Windermere, Florida
In 1966 Ferrari launched the 275 GTB/C Berlinetta Competizione, which was built on a completely new chassis designed specifically for this model. The chassis, designated Tipo 590A by the factory, was lighter and stronger than the standard 275 chassis. This car (chassis 09067) is the ninth of twelve Ferrari 275 GTB/C Scaglietti Berlinetta Competizione cars built by the Ferrari factory that year. It retains all of its original components as well as the lightweight chassis and aluminum body panels. The car is presented in its original livery, with cast-aluminum wheels, FISPA air cleaner, and black leather and cloth seats that are rarely seen on Ferrari 275 GTB/C cars.
(M2-09) 1967 Ferrari 412 P Competizione of Harry Yeaggy, Cincinnati, Ohio
To replace the successful Ferrari P3, the factory developed the intermediate 412 P race car also known as the P3/4. Designed by Mauro Forghieri, the 412 P features an aluminum body that owes its shape to the Ferrari wind tunnel, and the car develops 420 bhp due to its 4-liter, V12 engine with six Weber carburetors. This 412 P (chassis 0850) was purchased by the Ecurie Nationale Belge team of Jacques Swaters, and it raced in bright yellow livery at various events in 1967 and 1968. It finished second overall at the 1,000 km Race at Montlhiery in 1967 and it won the Cote de Condroz and Cote de la Roche Hill Climbs in 1968. The car was also entered in the 1967 24 Hours of Daytona when Ferraris famously finished 1-2-3. After its racing days concluded at the end of 1968, the 412 P was converted to street use for Dean Martin Jr. and was often seen on roads around Hollywood. It is shown here at Pebble Beach for the first time since being restored to its original racing specification. Most of us were expecting this fabulous car to be the class winner or even the concours winner but she ended up 3rd in class.