Black Hawk Museum, founded in 1988, is home to around 90 spectacular vehicles on display that change from time to time. This elevates the level of Black Hawk from a “Must go” to a “Must go every once in a while” museum. Black Hawk also plays an important role in Pebble Beach Concours d’ Elegance with the rare and unique cars they always present at the event and it is good to know that your Concour’s ticket is your free pass to the Museum on the Monday and Tuesday after the big event. We have chosen 13 majestic Ferraris that Black Hawk has been their proud, passionate and caring custodian in August of 2015 and sixteen in order or their age and try to give you some details about each one, as provided by the curators on the stand beside each car on display.
1950 FERRARI 195 Sport Touring Berlinetta s/n 0060M
Enzo Ferrari’s success on the track in the late 1940’s led him to continually build faster and more competitive race cars. After the 125 Sport came the 166 Spyder Cora and shortly thereafter in 1948 came the very successful 166MM/Sport. The 166MM was first shown to the public at the Turin Salon in November 1948. In 1949 a 166MM won at the famous 24 hour “Le Mans” endurance race.
The 166 was originally intended as a customer racing car but when Ferrari realized its potential they decided to construct a number of “works” cars. Between 1949 and 1950 just 30 Touring bodied examples were built; 25 were the Touring bodied Barchetta (open body) and 5 were the Touring bodied Berlinetta (closed body). Of the 5 Berlinettas built, 4 were upgraded by the factory from the 166 engine (1995cc) to a 195 engine (2400cc), but only one was actually scratch built at the factory as a 195 Sport. That car is the one you see here, Chassis #0060M. This car has the incredible “Touring of Milan” coachwork with the ultra light aluminum Superleggera (literally “super light”) design. The history of this 195 Sport goes on at length; a show car at the Geneva Motor Show (March 1950), racing at Le Mans (June 1950), Paris salon show car (October 1950), 1st in class and 7th overall at Sebring (December 1950) and the list continues on through it s showing at the prestigious Pebble Beach Concours de Elegance in August 2001.
Engine: V12 light alloy block & head; 65mm bore x 58.8mm stroke; 2431 cc (2.43 liter) 170 bhp @ 7000 rpm
1952 Ferrari 342 America Vignale Cabriolet s/n 0232AL
The 342 was a revolutionary car for its time. Built on a brand new platform, this large chassis & engine model was created to cure the needs of customers who wanted a more powerful road car that incorporated the luxury of head and leg room. This was one of the earliest cars in the America series which ended with the 500 superfast in 1967. The 340 series America cars used the Lampredi V-12 that had been developed for Formula One racing. Only 23 copies were built between 1950 and 1952; 11 were bodied by Vignale, 8 by Touring and 4 by Ghia. Of those, only 6 were left hand drive this is the only Vignale Cabriolet. Vignale was an automobile coachbuilder that was started in Turin by Alfredo Vignale in 1948. During the course of their existence they produced coachwork for Cisitalia, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati, Lancia and many more. In 1969 the company was acquired by DeTomaso Automobili, who themselves were owned by Ford, and the Vignale name was retired. Since then, the Vignale name has come up in regards to the Lagonda Vignale concept car of 1993 and with the Ford Focus Vignale.
Engine: SOHC Lampredi V-12, 4.1 Litre (4102 cc), 230 hp @ 6,000 RPM
1952 Ferrari 212 Inter Vignale s/n 0285EU
Ferrari’s 212 was the successor to the 195 which was produced for one a short time between 1950 and 1951. Like the 195, the 212 was built in two configurations, the “Export,” made predominantly for competition and the “Inter,” mainly for road use. It was unveiled at the Brussels Motor Show in 1951 as a sports car for the road that was still capable of winning races. The 212 was built in a period when a customer typically purchased a rolling chassis and then sent it to a coachbuilder of their choice. As such, many for the 212’s are quite different in body styles. Several coachbuilders (carrozzeria) built bodies for the 212 Inter, including Touring, and Ghia, however most of the bodies were built by Vignale. In fact, of the 82 Inter’s built, 37 of them were built by Carrozzeria Vignale. Twenty-eight of the 212 Export models were made for racing and three 212s finished in the top three places in the Tour de France auto race in 1951. The 212 was only Ferrari’s third foray into building road purposed cars, two years they made the 166 Inter and the year before they built the 195 Inter.
Engine: 60 degree V-12 2.68 in. bore x 2.31 in. stroke 156 cu.in. (2567 cc) 140 bhp @ 6000 rpm Price when new: $11,000
1953 Ferrari 375 America Coupe s/n 0327AL
The Ferrari 375 America was the second car in the America series following the twenty-two Ferrari 340s that were built. Enzo Ferrari was reluctant to make road cars, but was said to be persuaded by wealthy friends to begin building a few. Racing was Enzo’s true passion and the America series reflected that in what was under the hood. The 375 America was powered by an Aurello Lampredi 4,523 cc V-12, Ferrari’s largest engine to date, and could accelerate from 0-60 mph in under seven seconds; maxing out around 160 mph. The Lampredi engine was originally intended for use in F1 racing, but saw limited use as regulations were altered. This naturally aspirated V-12 was fitted into 375s that were built between 1953 and 1954. A slightly larger 4.9L version of the Lampredi Engine would go on to win the 24 hour LeMans race in 1954.
The first road Ferraris were bodied by some of the most famous coachbuilders of the day; Ghia, Touring, Pinin Farina and Vignale. This car is one of the original twelve 375 America and is only one of two coupes that were bodied by Vignale. Once the hand built body was completed it was shown at the 1954 Geneva Auto Show.
Engine: V-12, “Long Block” 3.3 in. bore x 2.9 in. stroke 4,523 cc 300 bhp @ 6000 rpm
1954 Ferrari 375 MM Ghia Coupe ‘Speciale’ 0476AM
The custom one-off bodied Ferrari is the only 375 MM (Mille Miglia) bodied by Ghia and, in fact, is the last Ferrari ever bodied by famous coachbuilder “Carrozzeria Ghia.” This unique piece was also the 1954 Turin Motor Show & 1955 New York Motor Show Car. Ferrari built only 29 of the 375MM’s; 26 by Pinin Farina, 2 by Vignale and this one by Ghia. The large 4.5 liter engine is the Aurelio Lampredi design, naturally aspirated V12. To save weight, both the cylinder block and heads were cast from light alloy. These engines were originally intended for the Formula One Grand Prix circuit but when the sport’s governing body decided to run the 1952 and 1953 championship seasons under Formula 2 regulations, it made the engines obsolete for Grand Prix racing. These large engines were, however, great for a limited series of Ferrari sports racers, the 375 MM’s, one of which you see here. This beautiful Ferrari has an incredible original 13,500 Kilometers (8,370 miles!) and wears the original, striking, ‘salmon over metallic grey’ paint schemes.
Engine: Tipo 108 V12 84.0 mm bore x 74.5 mm stroke 4.5 liter (275.9 cu. in.) 340 bhp @ 7000 rpm
Ferrari Four Cylinder Sports Cars
Ferrari began development of 4-cylinder engines quite early, despite the sudden success enjoyed by V-12. Legend has it that the performances of Stirling Moss in the Alta 4-cylinder layout with better torque at low speed and a reduction in both weight and complexity with the reduced number of moving parts compared to the existing 2 liter V-12, and reduced fuel consumption. As was usual with Ferrari an innovation was to be tried first in a monoposto. By the end of 1951 Ferrari had the 2-liter 4-cylinder (i.e, 500 cc per cylinder) Formula 2 car ready and it was virtually unbeatable. In 1952 and 1953 the World Championship was decided in Formula 2 racing, Alberto Ascari and the 500 F2 Ferrari were virtually invincible winning driver and constructor titles in both years. In those days there was a direct link between the Grand Prix and sports/racing cars at Maranello, so the successes in one soon led to experiments in the other. In early 1953 the decision was made to try the engine in the sports racing car, and experimented forays into 4-cylinder sports car racing continued through the year.
From 1954, Ferrari was ready with the 500 Mondial, a car that would be raced by both the factory team and private entrants. The 500 Mondial, named in honor of the two world championships, was a successful as a race car from its first outing, usually winning a class victory and often challenging for (and occasionally winning) the overall victory. The engine was designed by Aurello Lampredi and, like his V-12 engine with the exotic fixed head monobloc manner, had the cylinder liners screwed into the cylinder heads thereby eliminating the need for head gaskets. Dual overhead camshafts were used, and two sparkplugs per cylinder. The angle between the valves were so wide- 85 degrees- that at first glance the engine appears to be a V-8. With bore and stroke dimensions of 90 x 78 mm, it displaced 496.21 cc per cylinder or 1985.86 cc total, qualifying the car for the under 2 liter class. With an 8:1 compression ratio initially it was rated at 155 BHP. The valves were operated by dual overhead camshafts which were driven off the crankshaft by an arrangement of gears, not a timing chain as with the V-12s, and the fuel/air mixture was supplied by two side-draft dual-choke Weber carburetors. Ignition was originally via dual magnetos, but later dual distributors supplied the spark for the dual spark plugs per cylinder. The engine had a dry sump lubrication system, and in typical Lampredi fashion cooling water was supplied by means of external water passages. This engine was given the designation type 110. The Ferrari four-cylinder would to be developed for other four-cylinder racers, most notably 750 Monza and the 500 Testa Rossa.
1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Spyder (1 of 9 Remaining Cars)
The creation of the 500 Mondial was an attempt to hold off competition from Maserati, Jaguar, Aston Martin, and potentially from Mercedes-Benz, until Ferrari’s redesigned V-12s could be fully developed and tested. Grand Prix cars with 4-cylinder engines had shown great potential in the late 1940s; in 1950 Ferrari designer Aurelio Lampredi illustrated this point by building an incredible Ferrari 4-cylinder with 1984cc (cubic centimeter) of total displacement. 4-cylinder engines were light and less complex with fewer reciprocating parts to reduce drag, and large cylinder bores allowed the use of big valves…and long strokes…to produce more torque with comparable-or-greater horsepower than a 12 cylinder engine of the same displacement. The engine, Tipo 110, was a double overhead cam (dohc) fed by two Weber carburetors and developed 160 horsepower at 7000 rpm and an incredible amount of torque. A total of 12 Series I Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Spyders were built; 9 cars are known to survive today, and it is believed that this car may be the only completely original example extant, maintaining its factory numbered body, chassis and engine. The word Mondial pays tribute to Ferrari’s 1952-53 World Championship (Mondiale) just prior to this car’s introduction, eventually leading to the big-engined four-cylinder cars headed by the famous (aka infamous) Ferrari 750 Monza 3-liter.
1955 Ferrari 750 Monza Scaglietti Spider
The Ferrari Monzas were named after the famous racetrack on the outskirts of Milan, Italy, a place where Ferrari often displayed its unique talent for winning. There were 3 series of Monzas built, the first being the 250, a Colombo-designed 3 liter V-12 built in the early 1950’s. Following the 250 Monza came the 750 Monza followed again by the 860. It was the 750 Monza that proved to be the most popular of the trio. In 1954 the 750 Monza was introduced, sporting an Aurelio Lampredi designed inline-four-cylinder engine that was more potent and well-balanced than the 250 V-12. The 750 was constructed over a two year period with just over 30 examples built. The 750 had Ferrari’s conventional steel tube chassis and was clothed in an all aluminum body built by Sergio Scaglietti.
On its very first race, at the “Gran Premio Supercortemaggiore” at Monza, piloted by Mike Hawthorne and Umberto Maglioli, the new 750 emerged victorious and to commemorate this win the new Ferrari was dubbed the “750 Monza.” The 750’s went on to be frequent class winners, placing second overall at the 1954 Tourist Trophy Race in England and at the 12 Hours of Sebring in Florida in 1955.
Engine: 4 cylinder DOHC (Lampredi design) 103mm bore x 90mm stroke 2999 cc (183 cu.in.) 260 BHP @ 6000 RPM Manufacturer
1957 Ferrari 250 GT Ellena Coupe
At the 1956 Geneva Auto Show, Pinin Farina (which became Pininfarina in 1961) presented a prototype Ferrari 250 GT coupe, while Mario Boano displayed a 250 GT cabriolet prototype. The first series of the 250 GT production coupes included 82 cars coachbuilt by Carrozzeria Boano, although to Pinin Farina’s design with their distinctive long-nosed “Ferrari look.” Ferrari supplied the engine and chassis, but construction of the bodies took place at the Boano factory in Grugliasco. At the end of 1957, Mario Felice Boano departed the company he founded in 1954, to set up the styling department at Fiat and his son-in-law, Ezio Ellena, took over. The renamed Carrozzeria Ellena produced a further run of fifty 250 GTs, known as the Ellena Coupes, which improved body proportions and headroom, courtesy of a slightly raised roofline. Passenger comfort and luggage accommodation were much improved. The superb performance of the famed Colombo-designed V-12 with 240 horsepower, could propel Ellena Coupe to a top speed of 127 to 157 mph, depending upon the selected final drive gear ratio. Such performance is not surprising, as the mechanical specifications of the Ellena were the same as that of the 250 GT Tour de France, Ferrari’s then-current GT racing car. Minimal build numbers, and their mechanical similarity to their more glamorous cousins, the sad fate of many of them being parts sources for Tour de France and California Spiders meant low survival rate for the 250 GT Boano/Ellena series. It is estimated that only about fifteen 250 GT Ellena Coupes remain in their original form.
This car, the 23rd of the 50 built and delivered new through the Ferrari representative in Hollywood, California was shown at the 1996 Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance, and is the winner of virtually every Ferrari Club of America award, including three Platinum awards and nine Best in Class awards. It was awarded a First in Class and the Coppa Bella Machina Award at the VII Palm Beach Cavallino Classic.
Engine: V-12 60-Degree Single Overhead Cam 2,953-cc-240 bhp Triple Weber Carburetors Four-Speed Synchromesh Manual Transmission, Wheelbase-102’ ; Built by Carrozzeria Ellena Grugliasco, Italy
1958 Ferrari 250 GT Series I Cabriolet s/n 0963GT
The first 250 GT Cabriolet was introduced in March 1957 at the Geneva Auto Show. Series I 250 GTs were built from 1957 to 1959, and Series II Cabriolets were built from 1959 to 1962. Only 42 Series I 250 GT’s were produced and each of them had slight variations. This particular car, chassis number 0963GT is the 30th produced and is one of the six that has outside front fender vents, much like the famous 250 California Spider.
Some confusion existed early on between the open cars-the Cabriolet and the Spider. The coachbuilding company Pinin Farina separated the look of the two cars by closely identifying the Cabriolet with the long-wheelbase Ferrari Berlinetta, or Coupe. Many enthusiasts feel the 250 GT Spider has more visual appeal and a performance edge on the Cabriolet but Pinin Farina originally created the Cabriolet as a semi-luxury touring car. It had better interior appointments, more soundproofing and was better suited to the (non-racer) Ferrari customer for comfortable every day driving with a more than a touch of performance.
Motor Trend Classic placed the 250 GT Series I Cabriolet and Coupe ninth on their list of the ten “Greatest Ferraris of all time.”- Wikipedia
Engine: V-12 60- degree, SOHC 73mm. Bore x 58.8mm stroke 2953 cc 240 bhp @ 7500 rpm – Body/Coachbuilder: Carrozzeria Pinin Farina Turin, Italy
1959 Ferrari 250 GT Coupe Series 1
The new 250 GT Coupe introduced at the 1958 Paris Motor show was a decisive step forward toward true series production for Ferrari. By the early 1960’s, road car production had ceased to be guideline for Ferrari and was seen as vitally important to the company’s future stability. Motor racing was Enzo Ferrari’s main mission and the road car business had been to support factory racing program.
With the new 250 Coupe, Pininfarina coachwork replaced the Boano and Ellena build cars and 335 examples were made by the time production concluded in 1960.
Under the hood was Ferrari’s renowned 3.0 liter Colombo V-12 developed from the 1.5 liter unit that powered Ferrari’s first ever sports cars – the Tipo 125 C – This supremely versatile engine proved equally at home on both road and track, effectively establishing the worldwide reputation of the marque. A number of important developments occurred during 250 Gt production: the original Colombo-designed Tipo 128C 3.0 liter engine being superseded by the twin distributor 128D. Maximum output on triple Weber carburetors was 240hp, which was good enough for a top speed of 150mph (240kph), and could reach 60mph in seven seconds, making the 250Gt one of the fastest GT cars available.
The relatively small scale of production meant that cars could still be ordered with subtle variations according to customer choice, as well as enabling a handful of show cars and ‘Specials’ to be constructed on the 250Gt chassis.
More refined and practical than any previous road-going Ferrari, yet retaining the sporting heritage of its predecessors, the 250 GT is a landmark mole of immense historical significance.
The new 250GT coupe by Pinin Farina (later Pininfarina) became Ferrari’s most commercially successful model.
Engine 2953cc SOHC V-12 240hp 4-speed manual gearbox. Wheelbase: 102.36in
1960 Ferrari 250 GT Pininfarina Cabriolet Series 2
The first 250 GT was introduced in March 1957 at the Geneva Auto show; Series I 250 GTs were built from 1957 to 1959, and series II cabriolets were built from 1959 to 1962.
Some confusions existed early on between the open cars – the cabriolet and the spyder; the coachbuilding company Pinin Farina separated the look of the two cars by closely identifying the cabriolet with long wheelbase Ferrari berlinetta, or coupe.
Many enthusiasts feel the 250 GT Spyder has more visual appeal and a performance edge on the cabriolet, but Pinin Farina originally created the cabriolet as a semi-luxury touring car. It had better interior appointments, more sound-proofing and was better suited to the average (non-racer) Ferrari customer for comfortable every day driving, with a touch of performance.
Engine: V12 60 degree, DOHC each bank 2.87” bore x 2.31” stroke 180 cubic inch 260 hp @7000rpm
1966 Ferrari 500 Superfast Coupe
The Ferrari 500 Superfast was the culmination of the Ferrari America series which began in 1950. Every car in the series shared some basic components; they were touring cars with front-mounted V12 engines, live axles and worm and sector steering. All coachwork was custom on the America series and production numbers were low on the exclusive car. The 500 Superfast was produced between 1964 and 1966 with only thirty-seven automobiles built. Available only as a Coupe, the Ferrari 500 Superfast boasted 400 horsepower from 4962 cc V-12 engine-the most powerful engine available in a passenger car in 1964-and claimed a top speed of 170 miles per hour. It was originally equipped with a four-speed transmission. The 500 Superfast carried the long-wheelbase coachwork similar in style to other America models, a sleek and simple design mostly built by Pininfarina. Of the thirty-seven 500 Superfast built, twelve of these cars were considered Series 2 cars, distinguishable by a jump in the serial numbers. The Series 2 cars were equipped with such “late” improvements as a five-speed transmission, air conditioning, and power windows.
Engine: V-12, 60 degree, SOHC each bank 3.46” bore, 2.68” stroke 302 cubic inch 400 bhp @ 6500 rpm
Price when new: $19,000
1966 Ferrari 330 GTS
In Octoer 1966 ferrari introduced the nw 330GTS (Gran Turismo Spyder) at the Paris Auto Show. This followed the introduction of the Ferrari 330 GTC (Gran Turismo Coupe) at the Geneva Auto Show earlier that year. it had a front mounted, Colombo designed V-12 engine with a 5 speed manual geabox that was located in the rear transaxle. This powerful 4 liter Ferrari was capable of producing 300 horspower and could do 0 to 60 in 6.9 seconds.
The 330 GTS, like the 330 GTC ( a blue 1966 GTC was displayed nearby ), was built with the short wheelbase of the Ferrari 275 and had independent rear suspension.
This Pininfarina designed Spyder was fairly liited in production with only 100 examples built (600 of the GT Coupes were built). Production of the 330 GTS, like the 330 GTC, came to an end in late 1968 with the introduction of the new 4.4 liter 365 GTC.
Engine: 60 degree v-12 3.03 in. bore x 2.8 in. stroke 3967cc (242 cu.in.) 300 bhp @ 7000 rpm
1966 Ferrari 330 GTC Coupe Pinnifarina Speciale
In 1966, the Ferrari range of road cars was comprised of five models. A need was felt at Maranello for high-performance, luxury closed two-place coupe with passenger comfort- a “Gentleman’s Express”-to continue the theme which started with the Berlinetta Lusso, but unrestricted by any limits dictated by occasional competition application, as was the case with the 275 GTB.
A 4-litre V-12 cylinder version of the 275 GTS chassis was developed with a handsome Pininfarina coupe body. The styling of the Pininfarina bodywork was a combination of several previous successful designs-the elongated nose of the 500 Superfast for better aerodynamics, the fenders of 330 GT 2+2 Series II, the rear of the 275 GTS, and with a light roof, slim pillars and extensive glass area. The degree of visibility provided the driver was unparalleled for Ferrari. The car was acclaimed by enthusiasts as being one of the most sophisticated Gran Turismos ever built. The interior was especially spacious even for tall drivers, with accommodations for one two but a luggage area behind the seats and a special truck design that allowed for plenty of baggage space.
In March 1966, the Ferrari 330 GTC (Gran Turismo Coupe) was unveiled at the Geneva Salon. This car, with all-independent suspension and all-disc brakes, was more like the Berlinetta Lusso but emphasized comfort and featured higher performance, keeping the 330 GTC at the forefront of automotive design. The 4.0 Litre 330 engine and 5-speed gearbox gave the GTC effortless and quiet cruising at almost any sensible highway speed, with added flexibility for stop-and-go driving. The V-12 engine, a new variant of the original Colombo now designated the Ferrari Type 209/66 engine, produced 300 horsepower. The design provided the aerodynamic efficiency necessary to achieve a 151 mph top speed in a stable environment without any wings or spoilers.
The car on exhibit at the Museum is one of the special 330 GTC cars as its first owner was Sergio Pininfarina, the head of the family Carozzeria Pininfarina coachbuilding firm, who had taken over running Pininfarina in 1966 after the death of his father, Batista “Pinin” Farina. In 1961, by decree of the Italian president, his family name was changed from Farina to Pininfarina, and the company name therefore became, “Carrozzeria Pininfarina.”
The Ferrari 330 GTC body was designed and built by Pininfarina for Ferrari and this car is only the seventh 330 GTC built, including the prototype, and at Sergio’s direction, features many details not found on any other 330 GTC. Finished in the Ferrari dark blue color-Blu Scuro-it features unique variations in interior trim are upholstery on both sides of the ends of the dashboard, more extensive use of aluminum trim to border the wood or the dashboard and a unique ashtray. Other changes from the production models are the electric window switches and the vent windows that are operated by a sliding lever. On the nose of this coupe are retractable driving lights, similar to those fitted on the 330 Speciale built by Pininfarina for Princess Liliana DeRethy, wife of King Leopold of Belgium. This car may have also served as a prototype for the later 365 GTC as it incorporated several design features later seen on that Ferrari model including the lack of air exhaust vents normally seen on the side of the front fenders and the hood mounted vents.
1966 Ferrari 500 Superfast Coupe -Series II
This particular car is the last one of only 37 Ferrari 500 Superfast built between 1964 and 1966. The 500 superfast is a very significant automobile as it is the most luxurious nd fastest touring car Ferrari built at that time. Most of the cars were pre-sold to ferrari’s existing wealthy and VIP customers, who had previously purchased cars from he factory in the past. with the large 5 litre, V-12 engine producing 400 bhp, it was the most powerful available in a passenger car back in 1964. It had a top speed of 170 mph, also making it the fastest road car at the time.
This car was delivered new to Colonel Ronnie Hoare who owned the Ferrari Concessionaries, The Ferrari distributor in England. Col. Hoare drove the car for a few months then sold it through his dealership to Harold Samuels, also of the UK. Samuels died suddenly having only had the car for six months. The car went to J.A. Pearce in 1967. in 1968 Jack Crowther bought it and enjoyed the car for many years . with 64,000 miles on the clock, the car went next to Clive Deverell in 1985. Next was sold to Sander Van Der Velden of Holland who bought it at a Coy’s auction in 1987. Five years later at a Christie’s auction in Monaco the car was purchased by Swedish real estate tycoon, Hans Thulin. Michael Sheehan of Southern California bought the car in 1992 and finally the car was acquired by Black Hawk collection in 1993.
This last 500 Superfast has all options including air conditioning, power steering, a 5-speed gearbox only available in Series II cars, and a rear window wiper