The best event of the Monterey Car Week is the Pebble Beach Tour d’Elegance.
We can’t think of a better way to display a car than a scenic drive down the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) for everyone to hear and see.
For 2015, it was celebrated as a “Ferrari year” and many cars were displayed in honor of the original Pebble Beach Road Races which made the area famous.
1964 Ferrari 250 LM 6119
This 1964 Ferrari 250 LM is a proud member of the trio of 250 LMs that represent Ferrari’s last success at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in 1965. Entered by Scuderia Filipinetti, who had taken delivery of the car from the factory in September 1964, this car raced under number 27 and finished 6th overall behind the winning N.A.R.T.–entered 250 LM driven by Jochen Rindt and Masten Gregory. Scuderia Filipinetti raced this car for a number of years, and the car gained several overall and class wins.
1954 Ferrari 500 Mondial Pinin Farina Spyder Series I 0438MD
Debuting restortion by the Ferrari Classiche Department in Maranello, Italy. This is the 12th of 22 Series 1 Pinin Farina Ferrari 500 Mondials and was sold new to Dominican gentleman driver Porfirio Rubirosa in July 1954. Rubi shipped the car (0438MD) to California and raced it at Santa Barbara, accompanied by the recently divorced Zsa Zsa Gábor. Shortly afterwards he sold the car to John von Neumann, who campaigned the car in numerous California races. During a race at Torrey Pines, a broken connecting rod destroyed the engine. With a 3-liter Monza engine installed, he entered the car, nicknamed the “Monzetta,” at the 1956 Pebble Beach Road Races, finishing 10th in the Del Monte Trophy, the last-ever race on the Pebble Beach road circuit. One interesting note is that the car was photographed with James Dean at the wheel in Santa Barbara in May 1955, four months before his untimely crash near Paso Robles.
1955 Ferrari 857S Scaglietti Spyder 0588M
This car was driven by Olivier Gendebien, who sadly crashed before the end of practice at the 1955 RAC Tourist Trophy in Ireland. Scaglietti was given the task of rebuilding the car, giving it a tailfin similar to the Jaguar D-type; it is the only 857S to have this feature. Upon completion, it was sold to John Edgar in California who prepared the car for Jack McAfee to drive in Sports Car Club of America competitions. In April 1956 at the seventh annual Pebble Beach Road Races, Jack McAfee took the 857S to a third overall in the Del Monte Trophy. Sadly, this would be the last running of the Pebble Beach Road Races, due to a fatal accident involving Jack’s close friend Ernie McAfee. This car continued to be raced by Jack as well as Carroll Shelby and Ritchie Ginther until 1960. It was also once owned, but never raced, by Andy Warhol.
1958 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Scaglietti Spyder California 0919GT
Restored by Bob Smith’s Coachworks in 2011. This car (chassis 0919GT) is the first production 250 GT LWB Spyder California and one of 23 covered-headlight examples. Designed by Pinin Farina and built in small numbers by Scaglietti, this first car was completed in June of 1958 and sold to Julio Batista Falla in Cuba. All told, 14 LWB Spyder Californias were built by Scaglietti during 1958 with the remaining 36 cars being built between 1959 and 1960.
1952 Ferrari 250 Sport Vignale Coupe 0156ET
The Ferrari 250 Sport was largely based on the 225 Sport and the 212 Export racing models with a slightly larger engine. Ferrari prepared this 250 Sport Coupe (0156ET) especially for the 1952 season and it proved very successful. The car debuted at the Mille Miglia in May driven by Giovanni Bracco and Alfonso Rolfo against strong opposition, including Karl Kling in the new 300 SL from Mercedes-Benz which dominated for most of the race. Kling was eventually passed by Bracco, and the Ferrari finished in first place. Having a roof over your head was particularly advantageous for the wet conditions that year! A month later the car ran at Le Mans driven by Ascari and Villoresi but retired with clutch problems early in the race, and in August the car was again piloted by Bracco with Paolo Marzotto to win the Pescara 12 Hour Race. The Ferrari is shown here exactly as it was when it won its first 1,000-mile race in Italy.
1952 Ferrari 212/225 Inter Vignale Berlinetta 0237EU
This 1952 Ferrari 212/225 (0237 EU) was ordered by Franco Cornacchia’s Scuderia Guastalla racing team. Styled by Vignale, it is an all alloy coupe with Perspex rear and side windows and features two distinctive oval portholes. The engine was uprated to 225 specification at the factory and had a distinguished race career from 1952 until 1956, winning at Monza in 1953. The car eventually retired from racing but survived in various states of repair through numerous owners in the United States. In 1986, A. C. Bonomi rescued the car and took it back to Milan where it has since run seven Mille Miglias in the 1990s. Previous owner Richard Wills bought the car in 2009 and returned it to historic racing, participating at the Monaco Historics and the Goodwood Revival as well as other motoring competitions, including the celebrated Brooklands Double Twelve.
1959 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Scaglietti Spyder California Competizione 1321GT
Completed in March 1959, this Berlinetta, 1321GT, was dispatched to Jacques Swaters’ Ferrari dealership in Brussels for Armand and Jean Blaton, two wealthy brothers who competed using aliases to disguise their racing activities from their disapproving father. At the first major race in early June 1959, they entered the car in the Nürburgring 1,000 Kilometer race and won the GT class finishing 9th overall. Later that month at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Ecurie Francorchamps entered the car for drivers Leon Dernier, using the alias “Elde” and Jean Blaton racing as “Beurlys,” and after a fairly uneventful race the duo finished a remarkable 3rd overall and won the 3 liter GT class.
1957 Ferrari 250 GT Pinin Farina Cabriolet Series I 0777GT
This car (chassis 0777GT) was the tenth built out of a production of forty Cabriolets, and it was delivered on January 3rd, 1958 to Giorgio Fassio, a Genoese shipping executive and friend of Enzo Ferrari. Its second owner was the New York Ferrari importer Luigi Chinetti. It arrived in the United States in 1959 and was immediately used by Chinetti’s son Luigi “Coco” Chinetti Jr. on his honeymoon. During the car’s early life the original engine was changed, but engine and body were reunited by the current owner in the early 1980s. During its restoration the original charcoal grey paintwork was repainted in Ferrari dark blue, and the black interior was replaced with striking red upholstery. The car is easily identified because it has unusual and distinctive outside vents and a stainless steel mirror finish inside the headlight buckets.
1953 Ferrari 250 Europa Vignale Coupe 0295EU
Restoration debut by Perfect Reflections Auto Body located in Shelton, Washington. In late 1953 Ferrari commissioned Carrozzeria Vignale to create bodies for two of the early 250 Europa chassis, and this car (0295EU), the very first Europa, was shown alongside the new Ferrari 375 America at the Paris Auto Show, held at the Grand Palais. Since its Paris debut, the coupe has spent its entire life in America, where it has been shown only at the second annual Ferrari Club of America meeting in May 1966. Its showing here at the Pebble Beach Concours d’Elegance is just the third time the car has been shown in public.
1953 Ferrari 340 MM Vignale Spyder 0350AM
In 1954 Sterling Edwards purchased this car (0350AM), the last of the ten 340 MM Spyders and the fifth to be bodied by Carrozzeria Vignale. The car shared many features with the car (0324AM) that had been delivered to American racer Bill Spear, including the egg-crate grille, the three portholes and the triangular cutaway extractors in the rear fenders. At the Pebble Beach Road Races in April 1954 Edwards spun his Ferrari early in the Del Monte Trophy but was able to climb his way back through the field, and on lap 10, Edwards moved into third position behind Bill Stroppe’s Kurtis and Tom Bamford’s Cad-Allard. On lap 28, the Mercury-powered Kurtis gave up and Edwards went on to win.
1953 Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder 0288MM
This early Vignale bodied Ferrari Spyder (chassis 0288 MM) was raced by a number of British and Italian drivers in Europe during 1953 before it was exported to South America. In the 1970s it was discovered by race car detective Colin Crabbe who brought the car back to the UK. Today the car is still used in the historic races including the Mille Miglia in 2015.
1966 Ferrari 275 GTB/C 09015
From the John Mozart collection. This car, chassis 09015, was finished in June 1966 just four days before it appeared at its first race, the Le Mans 24 Hours, where it was driven by Giampiero Biscaldi and Prince Michel de Bourbon-Parma for Luigi Chinetti’s N.A.R.T. team. Chinetti sold the car to William Harrah for the Road America 500 race at Elkhart Lake where it came 12th overall driven by Bob Grossman and Denise McCluggage. 09015’s brief racing career finished at the end of 1966 and it remains in amazingly original condition to this day.
1958 Ferrari 250 GT ‘Tour de France’ 1-Louvre 1321GT
Completed in March 1959, this Berlinetta, 1321GT, was dispatched to Jacques Swaters’ Ferrari dealership in Brussels for Armand and Jean Blaton, two wealthy brothers who competed using aliases to disguise their racing activities from their disapproving father. At the first major race in early June 1959, they entered he car in the Nürburgring 1,000 Kilometer race and won the GT class finishing 9th overall. Later that month at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, Ecurie Francorchamps entered the car for drivers Leon Dernier, using the alias “Elde” and Jean Blaton racing as “Beurlys,” and after a fairly uneventful race the duo finished a remarkable 3rd overall and won the 3 liter GT class.
1965 Ferrari 275 GTB Scaglietti Berlinetta 06609
This short nose 275 GTB, named “Walter” after Walter Matthau’s favorite Ferrari in the movie A New Leaf, was acquired by its current owner in 1985 and has competed in various Ferrari Club rallies and track events including the Virginia City Hill climb.
1952 Ferrari 340 Mexico Vignale Spyder 0228AT
This Ferrari 340 Mexico Vignale Spyder (0228AT) was built especially for Bill Spear to compete in the Carrera Panamericana race in Mexico, but even though it arrived at the race, along with three Vignale built Mexico coupes, it never started. Instead, its first race was the 6 Hour Collier Memorial race at MacDill Air Force Base, where Spear shared the driving with Phil Hill, finishing second overall and first in class. On April 19 Spear drove this unique Ferrari 340 Mexico Spyder in the Pebble Beach Road Races, placing first in class and second overall in the Del Monte Trophy behind Phil Hill in his Ferrari 250 MM Vignale Spyder.
1960 Ferrari Superfast II
This car (chassis 2207SA) is the prototype 400 Superfast II that debuted at the Turin Motor Show in October of 1960 as a styling exercise by Pinin Farina. Over the next two years Pinin Farina and Ferrari collaborated to substantially reconfigure the car three times, so that the car could continue to dazzle on the European Show circuit. So successful were these efforts that the many early Ferrari historians incorrectly concluded that Superfast II, Superfast III, and Superfast IV were in fact three different cars. Today, 2207SA has been returned to the Superfast II configuration that has not been seen since the Turin Motor Show in 1960.
1956 Ferrari 250 GT Alloy Boano Coupé 0529GT
Recovered in 2007 by Thomas E Shaughnessy as a complete wreck and recently restored by Wayne Obry’s Motion Products Inc for owner Jim Fuchs. This Ferrari 250 GT Low Roof Coupe, 0529GT, was built by Mario Boano for Ferrari and raced only once at Caracus, Venezuela, in 1956. 0529GT is one of 17 alloy bodied 250 GT Boano’s built in 1956 and was delivered to Mario Pasquini Raspolli direct from the Ferrari factory. After its brief racing career it was discovered in very poor condition having languished in a ravine in Venezuela for over 25 years.
1961 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Pininfarina SWB Coupé 2809SA
This Ferrari Superamerica, 2809SA, is a meticulously cared for original example which has only ever had minor repairs. It was the first SWB covered headlamp car built and was ordered through the Ferrari agent Mario Camellini for Count Giovanni Volpi di Misurata in 1961. The Count was the owner of the private Ferrari race team Scuderia Serenissima and he ordered the car with black paintwork, tan leather interior and rear wheel spats. After a short period with later Italian owners it was bought by Mario’s son Umberto Camellini in 1972. The car was enjoyed by the entire Camellini family until it was purchased by its current owner in February 2015.
1949 Ferrari 166 MM Touring Barchetta 0010M
This car (0010M) won the 24 Hours of Spa in Belgium with Luigi Chinetti driving—and the Ferrari legend was born. In 1950 Chinetti sold the car to Jim Kimberly of Palm Beach, Florida, who raced it on the East Coast before bringing the car to California and the 1951 Pebble Beach Road Races. Kimberly placed sixth in the Del Monte Handicap race, but while running 3rd on lap 27 of the Pebble Beach Cup, Jim flipped the car. He emerged unhurt but the car was undrivable. The car was later repaired, sold to James Simpson, and raced until 1955.
1950 Ferrari 195 Inter Ghia Coupe 0101S
Carrozzeria Ghia, under the control of Mario Felice Boano, resumed its coachbuilding business after the war, and in 1950 it built its first Ferrari body. After the first coupe body was fitted on a 166 Inter, a similar style was built for the 195 Inter. This is the fifth example, which was exhibited at the 1950 Turin Motor Show. Ghia’s design for the 195 Inter attracted a lot of attention and ten similar Berlinetta bodies were constructed, but only 35 Ferraris were bodied by Ghia. After its first Italian owner, this car (chassis 0101S) was exported to the United States in the late 1950s. Then, after several more owners, the car returned to Italy to be completely restored in 2001.
1950 Ferrari 166 Inter Touring Berlinetta 0047S
Delivered new to engineer Pomini in Milan and recently restored to its original Blue colors.
1969 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona Targa 12925
This unique Ferrari Coupe Speciale based on the 365 GTB/4 was exhibited at The Paris Motor Show in 1969 by its designer Pininfarina. Following the show it was sold to Signor Rissi of Milan who proudly engraved his name on a small plaque attached to the rear of the car. After eight years, it was sold to the famous Matsuda Collection in Japan, where it spent most of its life. In 2003 it was sold to a European collector before its current owner acquired it in 2010. Chassis 12925 has many unique features such as a removable zip-out rear window and a brushed-aluminum roll bar and an elongated trunk and the distinctive interior seats are notably different to a standard Daytona.
1960 Ferrari 250 GT SWB Scaglietti Berlinetta Competizione 1813GT
Ferrari built 42 alloy bodied cars and this car, 1813GT is the 13th which features unusual side vents with no fairings. The car ran in the 1960 and 1961 Targa Florio races driven by its owner Pietro Ferraro and Armando Zampiero and in the 1962 Targa Florio it was driven by its second owner Giuseppe Crespi and Alberto Federici.