M1-1: 1951 Ferrari 212 Inter Vignale Coupe Audrain Automobile Museum, Newport, Rhode Island
Ferrari introduced the 212 Inter at the Paris Auto Salon in October 1951, and around 80 examples were produced, almost all of them closed coupes. Powered by a 2.5-liter V12 engine fed by a single Weber carburettor, the 212 Inter was soon seen in competition. One of its first wins was at the 1952 Carrera Panamericana when a pair of 212 Vignale-built coupes finished the grueling road race in first and second place. Carrozzeria Vignale built most of the closed 212 coupes as well as several cabriolets, although other examples were built by Ghia, Pinin Farina, and Touring. This car (chassis 0175E) was delivered to its first owner via Ferrari dealer Franco Cornacchia of the Scuderia Guastalla racing team. After a succession of owners in Italy, the car went to the United States in the mid-1950s. Its list of American owners includes Jack Christianson, Warren Scott, who removed the original motor and sold it, and Jack Stewart, who reunited that engine with the car in the 1970s. This Ferrari 212 Inter was acquired by the Audrain Auto Museum in 2017.
M1-2 1952 Ferrari 342 America Vignale Cabriolet Dennis & Susan Garrity, Green Bay, Wisconsin
This Ferrari 342 America (chassis 0232AL) was the first of three cabriolets powered by a Lampredi-designed 4-liter, V12 engine, and it is the only 342 America bodied by Carrozeria Vignale. In total six Ferrari 342 Americas were built, and all were given an even chassis number, normally reserved for Ferrari competition cars. All the numbers ended in AL for the longer “America Lungo” chassis. The body was designed by Giovanni Michelotti, and although it shares many elements with other Vignale-built cars of the era, this car has several unique features, including the slotted taillights that are recessed into the fenders. After driving a 340 America in the 1951 Mille Miglia, amateur Swiss racer Otto Wild, a close friend of Enzo Ferrari, ordered this 342 America. The car was imported to the United States in the late 1950s and remained with the same owner in California for 34 years but was rarely seen in public. Having just been restored to its original specification by its current owner, this is the first time the car has been to Pebble Beach.
M1-3 1952 Ferrari 342 America Pinin Farina Coupe Rebecca & Bruce Vanyo, Los Angeles, California
The Ferrari 342 America was one of Ferrari’s most exclusive production series; each car was finished to a customer’s specific order. Just six examples were built in total, three coupes and two cabriolets by Pinin Farina, and one cabriolet by Vignale. The first two 342 Americas were ordered by King Leopold of Belgium and another was owned by Enzo Ferrari himself. This car (chassis 0246AL), the last coupe built, was shown at the 1953 Geneva Motor Show before being delivered to its first owner, Ernesto Fassio, a wealthy shipping magnate from Genoa. According to the factory it was fitted with a larger fuel tank, a rally timer, which is still in the car, and an uprated 230-bhp engine to compete in the 1953 Rallye du Soleil in Cannes as well as later rallies in Italy and France. The car left Europe in 1954 and was shown at its first concours at Wilmot Hills, Wisconsin, by Steve Briggs of Lake
Forest, Illinois. After several other owners, the car was purchased in 2013 by its current owner, who restored it.
M1-4 1957 Ferrari 250 GT Pinin Farina Cabriolet Series I William H. & Cheryl K. Swanson, Boston, Massachusetts
Carrozzeria Boano was the first coachbuilder to design a convertible body for Ferrari’s new 250 GT chassis, and its flamboyant design marked the beginning of a new era for Ferrari. The following year, in 1957, a prototype 250 GT Cabriolet, designed and built by Pinin Farina, was shown at the Geneva Motor Show, and over the next twelve months, a further 39 Series I Cabriolets were built before the introduction of Pinin Farina’s 250 GT Series II. This 250 GT Series I Cabriolet (chassis 0783GT) was once thought to have been ordered by the Woolworth heiress, Barbara Hutton for her fifth husband Porfirio Rubirosa — although this seems unlikely as, by 1957, they had already been divorced for three years! Whatever the truth of that story is, Rubirosa, a wealthy playboy and part-time amateur racing driver was certainly the first owner of this car. The current owner purchased it in 2015 and restored to its original configuration.
M1-5 1958 Ferrari 250 GT LWB Scaglietti Spyder California David MacNeil, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
The first Ferrari 250 GT Spyder California was announced at Ferrari’s annual press conference in Modena in December 1958. The Spyder California was the inspiration of Ferrari’s US distributors, Luigi Chinetti and John von Neumann, who wanted a special open GT car for the American market. The Spyder California was based on Ferrari’s hard-top 250 GT Berlinetta, the Tour de France, and was designed by Pinin Farina and built by Scaglietti. It was constructed in two series, the long wheelbase LWB chassis, built between 1958 and 1960, and the short wheelbase SWB, built from 1960 to 1962. In total 50 Series I cars were built, including this car (chassis 1055GT) the eleventh Spyder California built in 1958. It was delivered to Luigi Chinetti Motors in New York and then sent to its first owner in Texas. Very few Spyder Californias were ever raced, but this is one of the exceptions. It was entered in the SCCA Osceola Grand Prix in Geneva, Florida, where it was driven by Ross Durant, who finished second against a Lister Corvette. Its current custodian acquired the car in 2016.
M1-6 1962 Ferrari 250 GT SWBScaglietti Spyder California Oscar Davis, Elizabeth, New Jersey
Two years after the first Spyder California was announced in 1958, Ferrari introduced an improved Spyder California, built on an 8-inch-shorter competition chassis from the Ferrari 250 GT SWB race car. Its V12 engine was uprated to the semi-competition Tipo 168 specification and, to cope with the increase in power, it was fitted with Dunlop disc brakes. Between 1960 and 1963, a total of 56 SWB Spyder California’s were built. The Pininfarina styling was almost identical to the earlier LWB model, the most obvious change being the air intake. Most SWBs also had covered headlights. The early history of this steel bodied car (chassis 3293GT) is not known, but in the mid-1960s it was driven for a short time by the comedian, film star and former guest host at the Pebble Beach Concours Bob Hope while he was touring in Europe for the United Service Organization. In 1975 the car was imported to the United States by racer and sports car collector Harley Cluxton. After it crisscrossed the Atlantic between additional owners, it landed in New Jersey with its current owner in 2007.
M1-7 1964 Ferrari 250 GT Scaglietti Berlinetta Lusso Jim & Nancy Utaski, Princeton, New Jersey
First seen at the Paris Auto Salon in 1962, the 3-liter V12-engined Ferrari 250 GT Lusso was the only Ferrari model from the 1960s identified by a single word: “Lusso.” Designed by Pininfarina with bodywork sculpted in the workshop of Sergio Scaglietti, the Lusso was the final Ferrari model to use the venerable 250-series engine. The Lusso bridged the gap between the sporting Ferrari 250 GT SWB and the more luxurious Ferrari 250 GTE 2+2, and between January 1963 and August 1964, a total of 350 examples were sold. Imported via Luigi Chinetti, this Lusso (chassis 5607) was first delivered to Rezzaghi Motors of San Francisco. It was owned later and enjoyed for 27 years and 70,000 miles by a family in Oakland, California. The car passed among several Ferrari fans, including one in Japan, before returning to California in 2007. More recently this Lusso has won several awards, including First in Class at the Ferrari 70th Anniversary Concours in Maranello, Italy.
M1-8 1970 Ferrari 512 S Modulo Pininfarina Coupe* MJJV Cars, Rye, New York
The Ferrari Modulo was designed by Paolo Martin at Pininfarina and unveiled at the 1970 Geneva Motor Show. This mid-engine design was based on Ferrari’s 512 S racing chassis, and the ultralow body was made of two overlapping “clam shells” separated by a band formed around its waistline. The unique side windows are repeated below on the doors like a shadow and the engine cover is made in black Perspex with 24 holes through which to admire the beauty of the rear mounted 5-liter V12 engine. At its Geneva debut the Modulo won 22 international design awards, and later that year the prototype was selected as the best of Italian coachbuilding at the 1970 Osaka Exposition. This fascinating prototype is widely regarded as typifying the trend of “wedge-shaped” designs inspired by the 1970s modernist movement.
M1-9 1960 Ferrari 400 Superamerica Pinin Farina Cabriolet –
Motor Classic and Competition Corp., Bedford Hills, New York
The Ferrari 400 Superamerica was one of the most exclusive road-going cars of its era. It debuted at the 1959 Turin Motor Show and a total of 25 cars were built between 1959 and 1962. It was Ferrari’s first road car where the model designation number referred to the total engine capacity of 4-liters. Several body styles by Pininfarina and Scaglietti were offered, all built on Ferrari’s short 95-inch wheelbase. This Superamerica (chassis 1885SA) is a Series 1 Cabriolet ordered with a factory hardtop and open headlights for its first owner, who lived in Milan. The car also spent a short period in Australia, then was brought to the United States in 1987. It was acquired by its current owner in 2006.
All photos and videos are taken by Richard Michael Own and Sam Noroozi and are their and ferrarism.com property and subject to copyright laws.